- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate (chopped)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 36 oz canned beets (drained and pureed)
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 12 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 12 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Melt the chocolate in a metal bowl and set over a saucepan of boiling water or in the top of a double boiler (or melt in a microwave for 20-30 seconds). Meanwhile, place the sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla in a bowl and mix for about one minute on low speed.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and continue to mix on low speed until well incorporated. Add the melted chocolate and mix on low speed, then add the pureed beets and food coloring.
- Continue to mix on low speed until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Divide the batter evenly between 3 greased and floured pans, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched, or when a toothpick comes up clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then turn the layers out onto a rack to cool completely.
- For the Icing:
- Pour the heavy cream into a small bowl and whip to soft peaks. Refrigerate. Place the cream cheese in a bowl and mix on low speed until soft and smooth. Add mascarpone and mix until combined. Add ½ of the vanilla and powdered sugar and mix well. Fold in the whipped cream by hand with a spatula. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- To assemble, take 1 cake and place flat side down on a serving platter. Drop about 1 cup of icing onto cake and, using a flat spatula, spread evenly over top. Take the second cake and place flat side down on top of first layer. Repeat icing. Take third cake, place flat side down and use remaining frosting to cover top and sides of cake.