- 1 head Romaine lettuce, dark outer leaves discarded
- 1 coddled, large egg
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (Grey Poupon® brand preferred)
- 2 ounces anchovies, broken up (2 teaspoons anchovy paste can be substituted) – TFD NOTE: Ortiz brand Anchovies are strongly preferred
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Garlic croutons, for garnish (can be substituted with baguette toasts) – TFD NOTE: Homemade strongly preferred
- Rinse lettuce leaves under cold water; spin them dry and gently pat with paper towels. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or more (this can be done the night before or early in the morning the day of).
- To coddle the egg: set an egg in a 2-cup bowl. Pour boiling water over the egg and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large wooden or stainless steel bowl, whisk together the garlic, mustard, anchovies or anchovy paste, Worchestershire sauce, vinegar, lime juice, salt and black pepper until well blended; set aside.
- Crack the egg – keep the yolk and discard the white. Add egg yolk to mixture in bowl, then slowly whisk in the olive oil in a stream until dressing emulsifies and all oil is absorbed. Stir half of the cheese into the dressing and reserve the other half.
- Add the whole Romaine lettuce leaves to the dressing in bowl and gently roll them around until they are thoroughly coated.
- Divide the salad evenly among 2 or 4 plates. Garnish each serving with remaining Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and a few croutons.
- Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 477.72 kcal
- Sugar: 2.29 g
- Sodium: 709.26 mg
- Fat: 46.09 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.92 g
- Trans Fat: 0.01 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.07 g
- Fiber: 3.59 g
- Protein: 11.19 g
- Cholesterol: 68.36 mg