- 25 gm dried scallops
- 75 gm dried prawns
- 250 ml (1 cup) vegetable oil, or just enough to cover all the ingredients
- 75 gm garlic (about 20 cloves), finely chopped
- 75 gm red shallots (about 6), finely chopped
- 50 gm Virginia ham or prosciutto cut in a single slice, finely shredded
- 25 gm fresh long red chilis (about 6), seeded and finely chopped
- 10 grams peeled and minced ginger
- 15 gm dried long red chilis, seeded, soaked and finely chopped
- 7 gm dried birdseye chilis, finely chopped
- 5 gm Malaysian-style shrimp paste (aka belacan; be sure to roast before using!)
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp roe, crumbled (available in many Chinese grocery stores; optional)
- 15 gm sugar, or to taste
- Roast shrimp paste: wrap it in aluminum foil and roast at 200C until fragrant (4-5 minutes).
- Soak dried scallops and dried prawns separately in 125ml (½ cup) hot water mixed with ¼ cup shaoxing wine until plump (preferably overnight).
- Drain scallops (reserve soaking water), tear them into fine shreds, pat dry on absorbent paper and set aside. Drain prawns (reserve water), chop them finely and set aside.
- Heat half the oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat, add scallops and deep-fry until very crisp (1-2 minutes; cover with lid as they may spit). Drain well, reserve oil. Wipe out wok with absorbent paper, add reserved oil and remaining oil and return to medium heat.
- Add garlic, shallots and dried prawns and stir continuously until golden brown (4-5 minutes).
- Add jamón, fresh chili and dried chili, fry for a few seconds (be careful, it may burn easily), then add shrimp paste, fried scallops and reserved scallop and prawn water and stir continuously for a few more seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and a pinch of salt and stir occasionally until fragrant and water has completely evaporated (20-30 minutes).
- Remove from heat, strain (reserve oil), transfer solids to a sterile jar, then pour in enough reserved oil to cover. XO sauce will keep refrigerated in a sealed container for 1 month.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 622.04 kcal
- Sugar: 6.03 g
- Sodium: 307.78 mg
- Fat: 60.67 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.31 g
- Trans Fat: 0.46 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.33 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 7.85 g
- Cholesterol: 36.46 mg