- 1 cup peeled almond flour
- scant 1 cup powdered sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1–3 drops edible Bulgarian rose essence or to taste (TFD change – original called for rosewater)
- 1–2 drops edible violet essence or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. freshly-ground cardamom (optional TFD addition to recipe)
- 1/2 tsp. mahlab (optional TFD addition to recipe)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. orange blossom water
- 1/2 Tbsp. finely-ground musk lifesavers (wildly optional TFD addition to recipe)
- 24–30 slivered pistachios
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, stir together almond flour, ground musk lifesavers, salt and powdered sugar until fully mixed. Gradually add in floral essences and orange flower water + additional cold bottled water (about 1 ½ tsp. at a time), until mixture comes together in a dry dough. Continue to mix/knead for about two minutes, until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Place granulated sugar in a plate. With your hands, roll a teaspoon of the almond mixture into a sphere, and make one end slightly pointy. Roll in granulated sugar to coat, then poke a slivered pistachio in the wide end of the toot to form a stem.