- For the pork:
- 1 lb. pork belly
- 6 Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 large scallion stalk, smashed
- For the rest of the dish:
- 7 ozs. Napa cabbage
- 3 ozs. garlic shoots (蒜苗) or leek or scallions (preferably a mix of all 3!)
- 1 tablespoon rough-chopped fermented black beans
- ½ thumb ginger, peeled and sliced against the grain
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ small red pepper thinly sliced diagonally
- ½ small orange pepper thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 tablespoons lard (preferred) or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing cooking wine (紹興料酒)
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan hot bean paste (辣豆瓣醬)
- 2 tablespoons sweet wheaten sauce (甜麵醬)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Put the strips of pork belly in a wok or a pot and completely cover the meat with water. Add smashed scallion and Sichuan peppercorns. Bring the water to a boil and immediately turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook the meat for about 45 minutes.
- Skim the scum that forms on the top regularly as the meat is being cooked. Drain the pork and let cool. Cut the pork into very thin slices of about ⅛ inch thick and set aside.
- Cut the cabbage into pieces of about one-inch squares. Cut the garlic shoots into one and a half inch long pieces. Mix Shaoxing cooking wine, Sichuan hot bean paste, sweet wheaten paste and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- When you’re ready to stir-fry, heat the vegetable oil in a wok until just beginning to smoke. Add the cabbage and stir-fry for about 4 minutes.
- Be sure to keep stirring so as not to burn the cabbage. Remove the cabbage from the wok and set aside in a bowl. Put the sauce mixture into the wok and stir-fry for about 30 second or until fragrant.
- Add both the pork and cabbage into the sauce and continue to stir-fry for another 2 minutes or so. Then add the garlic shoots, peppers, garlic, ginger and black beans and stir-fry for an additional 30 seconds. Plate and serve immediately.
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 708.09 kcal
- Sugar: 4.08 g
- Sodium: 415.18 mg
- Fat: 67.93 g
- Saturated Fat: 22.52 g
- Trans Fat: 0.05 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.19 g
- Fiber: 2.14 g
- Protein: 13.21 g
- Cholesterol: 81.65 mg