- 1 lb. Pork Belly, skin removed
- 2 Tbsp. Red Yeast Rice, ground to a powder in a spice blender
- 2 Tbsp. Hongzhao (optional, but I like it – omit if you prefer or can’t find it)
- 2 Tbsp. Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 2” piece peeled Ginger
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Five Spice Powder
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground White Pepper
- 1/2 cup Sweet Potato Starch
- Peanut Oil for frying
- Combine red yeast rice, hongzhao (if using), rice wine, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar, pepper and five spice powder into a paste in food processor. Massage into pork belly and marinate two days in the refrigerator.
- Remove the marinated pork belly out of the fridge, wipe off marinade, dust generously with sweet potato starch and deep-fry in oil until golden brown and crispy.
- Let rest for a few minutes before slicing, and then eat with all swiftness. Serve with julienned fresh ginger, if desired.