- 2 large eggplants, not the Asian variety
- ⅓ of a small red bell pepper
- 1 small tomato
- ½ cup parsley leaves, tightly packed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Extra olive oil for garnish
- Eggplant Roasting Directions Steps are from Serious Eats:
- If using a gas burner or grill (recommended): Preheat a gas or coal grill to medium heat and place eggplants directly over heat source. Cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until completely tender and well charred on all sides, 30 to 40 minutes. Wrap with foil and let rest 15 minutes.
- If using the broiler: Adjust rack to 6 inches below broiler element and preheat broiler to high. Place eggplant on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning occasionally, until charred on all sides and completely tender, about 1 hour. Eggplants should be very, very tender when cooked. Test near the stem and bottom ends. If a toothpick or skewer meets any resistance, continue cooking. (See note above.)
- Remove from oven and gather up foil, crimping it around the eggplants to form a sealed package. Let the eggplants rest for 15 minutes.
- Open foil package. Working one eggplant at a time, use a sharp paring knife to slit it open lengthwise. Carefully scoop out soft flesh with a large spoon and transfer to a strainer set in a large bowl. Once all eggplant is scooped, pick out any stray bits of skin and blackened flesh and discard.
- Leave to drain for 30 minutes, then whiz briefly in a food processor.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the red bell pepper, tomato, and parsley.
- Once eggplant is soft, peel off the charred skin. Finely chop the insides of the eggplant or mash with a fork. Alternatively, pulse a few times in the food processor for a smoother consistency. Transfer to a bowl and mix in salt, olive oil, garlic, pomegranate molasses, walnuts, and half of chopped parsley.
- Fold in half of the chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, and pomegranate seeds, reserving the rest for topping.
- Drizzle baba ghanoush with some extra olive oil (TFD likes a lot of oil!). Top with remaining pomegranate seeds, chopped peppers, chopped tomatoes, and parsley leaves. Enjoy with warm pita bread!
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 279.45 kcal
- Sugar: 26.23 g
- Sodium: 309.4 mg
- Fat: 13.93 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.53 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.54 g
- Fiber: 12.83 g
- Protein: 6.58 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg