- What to dip:
- Crusty bread, cut into bite-sized cubes (leave a piece of crust on each cube)
- Cooked chicken breast, skin and bone removed, cut into bite-sized cubes
- Cooked garlic sausage or knockwurst, cut into bite-sized wedges
- Boiled new potatoes
- Asparagus spears, broccoli florets, or cauliflower florets, prepared for dipping
- For the foundue:
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc is best, IMHO)
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Emmentaler cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Tête de Moine (preferred) or Appenzeller cheese, very thinly sliced if using Tête or cut into small cubes if Appenzeller
- 1/2 cup Raclette cheese, shredded
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kirsch + 1 1/2 teaspoons Farigoule de Forcalquier (TFD variation) or 1 1/2 tablespoons + 1 1/2 teaspoons kirsch (traditional)
- A few gratings of fresh nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Rub the inside of a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan with the garlic; discard the garlic. Add the wine and bring to a bare simmer over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, toss all the cheeses together with the cornstarch. A handful at a time, stir the cheese mixture into the wine, stirring the first batch until it is almost completely melted before adding another.
- Stir constantly in a zigzag pattern (not a circular motion) to prevent cheese from balling up, until cheese is just melted and creamy (do not let it boil). Let it simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly. The fondue can bubble gently, but again, do not boil. Season with the nutmeg and pepper.
- Transfer to a cheese fondue pot and keep warm over a fondue burner. Serve immediately, with dipping ingredients of your choice.
- As an additional treat, when you’re almost done eating the fondue, leave a thin coating of cheese on the bottom of the pot. Lower the flame and allow the coating to turn into a brown crust, then break it into pieces and share it. This crust is considered a delicacy in Switzerland.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours