- 2 chicken breasts, about 225 g (8 oz), cut cross ways into thin slices
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp. pear brandy or shaoxing rice wine
- ½ tsp. Sesame oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cornstarch
- 150 ml (8 tbsp) lard (strongly preferred), peanut or vegetable oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ginger juice
- 5 ml (1 tsp) roasted ground Sichuan peppercorns
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sesame oil
- 1 large Korean pear-apple (preferred) or William pear, quartered, skinned and cored, then cut into thin slices
- 6–8 small dried Chinese black mushrooms, reconstituted , and cut into small wedges
- 2 scallion stalks, white and light green part only, roll-cut into 1” pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- For the chicken – mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl with a fork until thick. Add the chicken and leave it in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight if you so prefer.
- Heat a wok over a high heat until smoke rises. Add the lard, peanut or vegetable oil and swirl it around several times to cover a large area. Lower the heat.
- Add the chicken (drained of its marinade) and separate the slices straightaway with either the wok scoop or wooden chopsticks. Turn the pieces over 3–4 times so that they cook in the warm oil, turning white. Using a perforated disc or spoon, scoop them into a bowl. Discard all but 30–45 ml (2–3 tbsp) of the oil in the wok.
- Add the salt, ginger juice and ground Sichuan peppercorns to the chicken and stir to mix well. Add the sesame oil and the pear and mix again.
- Reheat the oil in the wok over a high heat until hot. Add the mushrooms, bell peppers and scallions and stir until hot. Return the chicken and pear mixture to the wok and stir vigorously until everything is piping hot. If the sauce needs, thickening, add some cornstarch dissolved thoroughly in water, wine or stock. Scoop on to a serving dish. Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 614.42 kcal
- Sugar: 7.23 g
- Sodium: 696.12 mg
- Fat: 48.83 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.78 g
- Trans Fat: 0.32 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.66 g
- Fiber: 4.23 g
- Protein: 14.76 g
- Cholesterol: 28.8 mg