- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (preferred) or extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup E. Guittard extra dark chocolate chips
- Microwave the butter for about 40 seconds to just barely melt it. It shouldn’t be hot – but it should be almost entirely in liquid form. Repeat for coconut oil. Using a stand mixer or electric beaters, beat the butter and coconut oil with the sugars until creamy.
- Add the vanilla and the egg; beat on low speed until just incorporated – 10-15 seconds or so (if you beat the egg for too long, the cookies will be stiff).
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until crumbles form. Use your hands to press the crumbles together into a dough. It should form one large ball that is easy to handle (right at the stage between “wet” dough and “dry” dough). Add the chocolate chips and incorporate with your hands.
- Roll the dough into 12 large balls and place them on a large plate. Cover with plastic wrap and chill the dough balls for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place balls on a cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (Or a baking sheet that has been covered with a Silpat, or greased with cooking spray.)
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the cookies look puffy and dry and just barely golden. DO NOT OVERBAKE. This advice is probably written on every cookie recipe everywhere, but this is essential for keeping the cookies soft. Take them out even if they look like they’re not done yet.
- Let them cool on the pan for a good 30 minutes – they will sink down and should stay soft for many days if kept in an airtight container. They can also be frozen. Enjoy with a tall, cold glass of organic, whole milk. 🙂
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 753.43 kcal
- Sugar: 46.79 g
- Sodium: 372.6 mg
- Fat: 40.11 g
- Saturated Fat: 25.59 g
- Trans Fat: 0.71 g
- Carbohydrates: 90.14 g
- Fiber: 4.99 g
- Protein: 9.05 g
- Cholesterol: 86.81 mg