- 80 g peeled and diced celery root
- 160 g diced onions
- 1.25 liters cold bottled water
- .25 liters Finnish Napue Gin (TFD addition, optional but recommended – replace with water for original))
- 1/3 cup prepared Chaga mushroom herb tea (TFD optional addition – omit for original)
- 240 g bacon-wrapped Reindeer, Elk or venison fillets
- 8 g juniper berries
- Black peppercorns
- Kosher salt
- bay leaf
- 130 g diced peeled potatoes
- 30 g dried forest mushrooms (TFD addition, replace with diced potatoes for original)
- 100 g cowberries or lingonberries or fresh cranberries (original recipe called for fresh cowberries)
- 130 g raw buckwheat
- Before boiling the broth, fry celery root and onions.
- Reconstitute dried mushrooms in Gin.
- Pour cold water and Gin (be careful to avoid any dirt or sediment from the dried mushrooms) over the mixture and add bacon-wrapped reindeer fillets, juniper berries, black peppercorns, salt, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Cook the broth on low heat for 1-2 hours until the meat is well boiled. Take out the meat and strain the broth.
- Bring the broth to the boil, add peeled and diced potatoes, sautéed onion, boiled reindeer and bacon (cut into small pieces) and simmer on a low heat until the potatoes are tender (15-20 mins). Add cowberries to the soup 10 minutes before the end of boiling.
- Next, fry raw buckwheat in butter for 2-3 minutes, add thyme and rosemary, pour in 300 ml reindeer broth and heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Put the cooked buckwheat on a plate and pour on the remainder of the soup.