- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoon flour
- ¾ teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- peanut or corn oil for deep frying
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup orange blossom or wildflower honey
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon peanut or corn oil
- White and black Sesame seeds
- Peel the apples, core and cut into wedges about ½ inch thick. Whip egg whites until frothy. Add flour, five spice powder and cornstarch and beat into a smooth batter.
- Heat the oil to 375F. Dip each apple wedge into egg white batter, place in hot oil and try, a few at a time, until crisp and brown. Place in a single layer on a warm service platter.
- Bring remaining ingredients to a boil in a saucepan and cook to a hard ball stage syrup; 280 F on candy thermometer.
- Pour over apple wedges, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve at once, accompanied by a large crystal bowl of water containing lots of ice cubes.
- Each person picks up an apple wedge with a fork or small tongs (which forms silk-like threads as you pick it up) and dips it into the ice water to crystallize the sugar and harden the top.