- 24 Littleneck clams or cockles
- 1 cup bottled top-quality bottled clam juice (I like Bar Harbor brand)
- 4 cups Chicken Stock (or substitute Vegetable Stock)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch Italian Parsley, finely chopped (about ⅓ cup)
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 generous pinch saffron (Sardinian is recommended)
- ½ pound Fregula (1 ½ cups)
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes, diced, seeded & peeled
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 teaspoons Sardinian Mirto liqueur (optional)
- Thin slices of Italian bread, toasted (optional)
- Grated Fiore Sardo cheese (to taste) (optional)
- Wash clams thoroughly with fresh water. Place clams in a large pot with the clam juice. Heat until clams open. Separate the clams from the juices.
- Pass juice through a sieve lined with cheesecloth to remove any sediment and impurities. Reserve juice. Set clams aside and keep warm.
- Bring remaining chicken stock to a boil.
- Heat ¼ cup of olive oil over a medium heat in a large pot (terra cotta if possible). Add sliced garlic, parsley, Mirto (if using) and crushed red pepper and sauté until garlic is tender, approximately one minute.
- Add the natural clam juice and boiling chicken stock. Add salt to taste (carefully, since the natural juice is already salty).
- Bring to a boil, add fregula, pinch of saffron and chopped tomatoes and cook 10 minutes on a medium heat. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. (Add more stock if broth seems dry).
- In the meantime, cover bread slices with grated Fiore Sardo cheese to taste. Place under broiler until cheese melts, bubbles and lightly browns.
- Remove soup from heat and add/stir in lemon zest. Divide clams among bowls, placing around rim. Fill with the soup. Add toasted cheese croutons. Drizzle with remaining extra virgin olive oil.
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 599.03 kcal
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 1186.03 mg
- Fat: 24.25 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.69 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 66.0 g
- Fiber: 4.42 g
- Protein: 28.7 g
- Cholesterol: 7.2 mg