- 6 oz. unsalted butter (room temperature) (TFD prefers KerryGold)
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 oz. almonds (ground, blanched, 6 Tbsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest (microplaned)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg yolks (hard-cooked, sieved)
- 1 large egg yolk (raw)
- Pinch Kosher salt
- Pinch freshly-grated Ceylon cinnamon
- 6 oz. apricot preserves, mixed with 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, 2 tsp. rum, 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground allspice, 1 tsp. freshly-ground nutmeg
- 6 oz. cherry preserves, mixed with 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, 2 tsp. Luxardo cherry liqueur, 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground cardamom, 1 tsp. mahlab
- Confectioners’ sugar (for dusting)
- Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- By hand, stir in almonds, zest, flour, making sure to measure flour correctly, and hard-cooked egg yolks.
- Add raw egg yolk, salt, and cinnamon, and mix into a smooth dough. This entire process, from step 1, can be done in a food processor, if you prefer.
- Place dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Cut off ⅓ dough and return, wrapped, to the refrigerator. Roll out ⅔ dough and place on an 8-inch-by-11-inch tart pan with a removal bottom or a small sheet pan. Pierce or ‘dock’ the dough with the tines of a fork. Using pastry brush, egg wash (1 beaten egg mixed with 1 tsp. water) the dough.
- Roll remaining ⅓ dough and cut into ¼-inch strips. Arrange strips lattice-style over dough. Brush lattice strips with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until light golden brown and crisp.
- Allow to cool completely. Place pastry on a serving plate and spoon fruit preserves alternately into the open spaces of the lattice work. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners’ sugar and serve.