- 1/2 lb. Gouda cheese, in a piece
- 1 Tbsp. softened butter (TFD change, original was mayonnaise), 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp. Polish or Kosher dill pickle brine (TFD addition – optional but strongly recommended) – combine all together
- 2 scallions, white part only, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, or more to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp. minced dill (TFD addition – optional)
- 1/2 Tbsp. minced celery leaves (TFD addition – optional)
- 1/2 Tbsp. finely-crushed walnuts (TFD addition – original used just a walnut half to decorate each serving)
- Thin slices of rye toast or Finn Crisps
- Walnut halves for garnish
- Thyme sprigs for garnish
- Cut out circles from the rye toast or Finn Crisps – put the circles on a large plate or platter.
- Take the scallions, put in a bowl, sprinkle with a little salt to soften, mix and set aside.
- Chop the garlic, also sprinkle with a pinch of salt, mash it on a board with a knife or fork to make a paste, add to the scallion. Add herbs and ground walnut and mix.
- Grate the cheese coarse on a grater, also put it in the bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, butter and pickle juice mixture, season with pepper and mix, set aside for an hour in the fridge, stir again, and the paste is ready. Pile onto rye toast rounds, garnish and serve immediately.