- 4 1/4 cups (1 liter) full-fat milk, preferably from a Jersey cow
- 150 g sugar
- 100 g light brown sugar (TFD change, original used regular sugar only)
- 50 ml condensed milk
- 4 eggs, beaten (TFD prefers duck eggs, but regular chicken eggs are just fine)
- 6 green cardamoms, seeds removed from husks and powdered in a spice grinder
- 1/4 tsp. freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. rose water (TFD endorses Cortas brand)
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste (TFD change, original called for extract)
- Garnish with 2 Tbsp. chopped cashews (TFD change – slivered almonds are traditional)
- Boil the whole milk with sugars – reduce to half the quantity and cool. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the nuts) and mix well and pour it into a pyrex dish large enough for it to rise.
- Bake in an oven at 180 C / 350 F for 45 minutes to an hour until the top is brown. Cool completely at room temperature and refrigerate several hours or overnight, serve it cold, garnished with the nuts.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes