- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup semolina
- ½ cup black seeds (qizha) paste (made of ground black nigella seeds and ground black sesame seeds in a 50/50 ratio).
- 1 ¼ cup warm water
- ¼ cup rosewater (TFD endorses only Cortas brand)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Skinless Marcona Almonds, cut into halves
- sugar syrup at room tempreture
- In a large pan, roast flour over medium heat and stir frequently until it turns lightly gold (this usually takes about 10 minutes). Leave aside to cool slightly, and sift it .
- In a medium bowl mix the sifted-roasted flour with the dry ingredients (Semolina, baking powder and baking soda) except the sugar.
- Add olive oil and Qizha paste and rub with hands until the semolina absorbs all the liquids. Dissolve sugar and in warm water, add rose water and add it gradually to Qizha mixture and knead the dough untill it is smooth and well mixed.
- Now lay the dough into an ovenproof pan. Using a knife, cut the dough into small geometrically-shaped treats, garnish with almonds (add one almond to each piece).
- Place the pan in the lower level of the oven at (180 degree C) for about 20 minutes. Take out of the oven, pour sugar syrup over the cooked pie and let cool before serving.