- 2 largish English cucumbers, peeled and grated on the big holes of a box grater or blasted in a food processor.
- 1 heaped tbsp. good coarse salt, such as Maldon
- 1 heaped tbsp. ginger puree
- ½ tsp. grated horseradish
- ½ tsp. wasabi (fresh grated preferred, if unavailable, use top-quality powdered)
- a liberal grinding of black pepper
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 3 minced large shallots
- 3 tbsp. malt vinegar
- ½ tsp. crushed anchovy fillet (Ortiz brand preferred) (optional but recommended)
- ½ green jalapeño pepper, minced, no seeds
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. mace
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh dill
- Drops of natural green food coloring, to taste
- Simmer all the ingredients for 30 minutes.
- Let the ketchup cool before using an immersion blender to blitz the mixture before running it through a food mill and bottling it. Add as many drops natural green food coloring to taste as you feel necessary. Unmatched on all seafood, but especially beautiful and delicious served with baked or poached salmon or Arctic Char.