- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 2 capsules Nordic Naturals DHA Xtra strawberry flavor (totally optional but recommended)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup wild berry juice – TFD prefers blackberry
- 3 ¾ cups mixed frozen berries, (choices can include blueberries, cloud berries, cranberries, salmon berries, or blackberries)
- ¼ cup dried cloudberry powder
- Add one cup of Crisco to a bowl.
- Pierce DHA capsules with the tip of a sharp knife. Squeeze the oil into shortening.
- Beat shortening and DHA liquid by hand (and with your hands!) in a large bowl until it looks like white frosting, about 15 minutes. Fold in sugar to taste.
- Gradually add berries, stirring well until the shortening is barely visible. The frozen berries will help to harden the mixture into ‘ice cream’.
- Mix well by hand and then freeze. In individual bowls, add some blackberry juice and plate the akutaq on top of it. Right after plating, sprinkle dried cloudberry powder over each serving. Serve at once.
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 1433.64 kcal
- Sugar: 51.11 g
- Sodium: 221.83 mg
- Fat: 101.24 g
- Saturated Fat: 24.13 g
- Trans Fat: 6.75 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.08 g
- Fiber: 1.09 g
- Protein: 76.34 g
- Cholesterol: 204.19 mg