- 1 1/2 cups Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 50g (2oz) Irish butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
- Take great care with this one as boiling sugar can be very dangerous!
- To Cook: Gently mix the syrup, sugar, vanilla, butter and vinegar together in a large saucepan. Then bring it slowly to the boil (do not stir). Boil until a drop hardens in cold water, then carefully stir in the baking soda. Be careful, the mixture will foam up when the soda goes in!
- Pour out on to a lightly-greased marble slab and when cool enough to handle, work the edges into the center. Keep doing this until the mixture turns to a pale yellow color. Pop it into a lightly-greased flat tin and leave to cool and set. When cold, break it into bite-sized chunks with a clean hammer.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours