- I recipe VaVaVoom pie crust, enough for a single bottom layer, freeze or refrigerate remainder
- 2 large firm-tart apples (about 1 pound total), such as Granny Smith or Northern Spy, peeled and cored
- 2 large firm-sweet apples (about 1 pound total), such as Pink Lady, peeled and cored
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. dry sherry (TFD change, original was 3 Tbsp.)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Leopold Bros. New York Apple Whiskey or young Calvados (TFD change, replace with dry sherry for original recipe)
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar (TFD change, use granulated sugar for original)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/8 tsp. freshly-ground cinnamon (TFD change, original was 1/4 tsp.)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg (TFD change, original was 1/4 tsp.)
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- Preheat your oven to 400° and set a rack to the middle position. On a floured surface, roll out one disc of pie dough (freeze the other disc for later), working from the center, into a 10-inch circle, about ⅛ inch thick. Carefully transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie plate and press into the sides. Drape any excess crust over the edge; then fold under and crimp.
- Use a fork to prick holes in the bottom of the dough. Line the dough with foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 8 minutes. Remove the weights and foil carefully; then continue baking another 5 minutes (the crust will still look pale). Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°. Using the coarse holes on a box grater, grate the apples. Transfer to a medium-size bowl and stir in the lemon juice, apple whiskey or Calvados plus the sherry. In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter; then add the apples (with their liquid) and the sugars, and cook, stirring, until the liquid begins to boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer; then continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and most of the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir in the apple mixture. Pour the filling into the crust; then bake until the custard is set but not browned, about 35 minutes. Let cool on a rack 30 minutes; then serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 509.59 kcal
- Sugar: 48.49 g
- Sodium: 270.91 mg
- Fat: 28.24 g
- Saturated Fat: 16.47 g
- Trans Fat: 0.25 g
- Carbohydrates: 57.07 g
- Fiber: 4.76 g
- Protein: 6.78 g
- Cholesterol: 221.09 mg