- 4 cups (1 l) milk
- ⅔ cup (155 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 longitudinally cut lemon zest strip (wide)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cups (1.5 l) water
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup (105 g) white rice
- 3 egg yolks
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon for garnish
- almonds for garnish, optional
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the milk, sugar, butter, lemon zest and cinnamon stick. Heat until small bubbles appear along the edge of the pan, then remove from the heat.
- Let stand for 30 minutes to develop the flavor.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the salt and rice, reduce the heat to low and cook slowly until the rice kernels have swelled and are tender (15-20 minutes). Drain.
- Place the saucepan holding the milk mixture over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add the rice and simmer uncovered, stirring often, until thickened, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the lemon zest and cinnamon stick and discard.
- In a bowl, using a fork or whisk, beat the egg yolks until lightly frothy. Gradually add about 1 cup (8 fl oz/ 250 ml) of the hot pudding to the yolks, beating constantly. Gradually pour the warmed yolks into the remaining pudding, stirring constantly.
- Cook over very, very low heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Add vanilla.
- Spoon the pudding into individual dessert bowls or one large serving bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with toasted almonds (optional) Serve at room temperature.
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 461.59 kcal
- Sugar: 51.79 g
- Sodium: 168.69 mg
- Fat: 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.64 g
- Trans Fat: 0.12 g
- Carbohydrates: 72.92 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 11.52 g
- Cholesterol: 143.0 mg