- 7 ounces fresh (strongly preferred) or canned bamboo shoots to taste
- 1 cup prepared Dashi broth
- ½ Tbsp. Soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp. Mirin
- Miso dressing:
- 2 tsp. sake, preferably from Kyoto
- 2 tsp. Mirin cooking wine
- ⅔ tsp. Japanese soy sauce
- ⅔ tsp. white miso
- 2 tsp. Kewpie mayonnaise (strongly preferred) or use homemade
- 2–3 Kinome buds
- 2 Tbsp. or to taste of finely-minced green sansho leaf (if unavailable, use fresh basil with a touch of fresh mint)
- Cut the bamboo shoots into 1 cm cubes, bring the broth to a boil, and then add bamboo shoots and turn down to low. Simmer broth, soy sauce and mirin together for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and reserve the diced shoots.
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a mortar and pestle and combine throughly. Dress the still warm shoots, mound into a ‘mountain’ in an apropos bowl of suitable beauty and serve immediately with a kinome sprig or two for garnish at the top.
- Category: Recipes