- 2 pounds pork belly, skin-on
- 2 large slices of ginger
- 3 scallions, roughly-chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow miso
- 1/4 cup red miso (or if you prefer, you can just use all red miso or all yellow miso)
- 4 tbsp. Okinawan black sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Japanese soy sauce
- 1/2 cup awamori (Okinawan distilled whiskey) – this is strongly preferred, but if unavailable, use sake
- 1/4 cup top-quality instant dashi (the dashi is a TFD addition and is very optional)
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into fairly-thick pieces
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 piece sliced ginger, 1/4“ thick
- freshly-grated wasabi (strongly preferred), or use powdered real wasabi mixed with water and allowed to sit for 10 minutes (Wasabi is a TFD addition – it’s very optional) – to taste
- hot Chinese-style mustard to taste
- 2 baby bok choy – stir-fried until bright green and reserved for garnish
- flowering garlic chives, flower buds cut off and used as a garnish (TFD addition, very optional)
- Shave or burn skin hair from pork belly, if needed. Boil and simmer pork about 1 hour with the scallions and ginger – the pork should be completely covered by water at the start.
- 6 minutes to the end, add 4 cold eggs from the fridge.
- Skim off oil, remove eggs and put them in an ice bath until cool, then peel and reserve. Also reserve about 1 cup of pork stock and discard solids. Combine reserved pork stock with optional dashi.
- Slice pork into ½-inch thick pieces. Mix miso, sugar, awamori, soy sauce and ½ cup pork stock / dashi together. Lay pork belly and carrot pieces in a skillet and cover with miso mixture.
- Simmer on low heat for 1 ½ to 2 hours, adding pork stock as needed to prevent miso from burning. Turn pieces occasionally.
- In the last 5 minutes, add optional wasabi. Stir once again before serving and add some dots of Chinese mustard to the meat. Garnish with eggs that have been cut in half at the equator, plus baby bok choy and flowering chive heads if you’re so inclined.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 1336.85 kcal
- Sugar: 12.07 g
- Sodium: 1645.62 mg
- Fat: 122.58 g
- Saturated Fat: 44.27 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.38 g
- Fiber: 2.93 g
- Protein: 26.36 g
- Cholesterol: 163.29 mg