- For the rolls:
- 1 package (2 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup plus ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 white potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- ½ cup cultured butter, very soft – original called for unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 7 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ sticks of pepperoni, cut into cubes (about 1 pound total)
- For the glazes:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup melted escargot butter (optional, TFD addition – omit for classic recipe)
- Spicy Salt (TFD addition, omit for original version)
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar until yeast dissolves. Let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes until foamy.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a pot with at least three cups of water (enough to make approximately 2 ½ cups leftover potato water) and cook until tender.
- Pulse cooked potatoes and 2 ½ cups potato water in a blender. Add the ½ cup sugar, butter, and salt, blending well. Add the egg and blend 5 seconds more. Let mixture cool to lukewarm.
- Once cool, pour potato mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitting with the paddle attachment, mixing in the yeast. Slowly add 4 cups of flour and beat until smooth. Add 3-4 more cups of flour and knead until the dough is fairly stiff but still a little sticky. Place dough in a large greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight. (Note: the dough will keep in the fridge for 5 to 6 days. Be sure to push down the dough at least once per day.)
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400°F. Turn dough onto a floured board and cut into quarters. Continue to cut into roughly 20 small pieces. Take a piece of the dough and push it flat into a rectangle.
- Then place a good number of cubes of pepperoni in the middle and roll it up, pinching the ends of the dough to hold the pepperoni inside. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat until you’ve used up all of your dough and pepperoni.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and sugar. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Add your egg and mix well. Brush tops of the rolls with this mixture, bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. When they come out of the oven, brush lightly with softened garlic herb butter and sprinkle lightly with Calabrian sea salt.
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 1489.55 kcal
- Sugar: 29.53 g
- Sodium: 1124.63 mg
- Fat: 50.59 g
- Saturated Fat: 28.82 g
- Trans Fat: 1.85 g
- Carbohydrates: 224.11 g
- Fiber: 9.46 g
- Protein: 32.64 g
- Cholesterol: 206.82 mg