- 3 cups double cream (or whipping cream)
- 3 cups milk (full fat)
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons salep (level)
- 7/8 to 1 teaspoon Chios gum mastic (ground)
- Greek sour cherry preserves
- Unsalted pistachio kernels
- Grind the mastic: mastic is usually sold in drops of resin which can stick to the mortar and pestle during grinding. To avoid, freeze mastic for 15 minutes before using and place it along with 1-2 tablespoons of the sugar in the mortar. Grind with the pestle.
- In a mixing bowl, beat ½ cup of the milk with the ground mastic (and sugar used to grind) until completely blended. Dissolve the salepi in ½ cup of cold milk. Warm the remaining milk in a saucepan over low heat. Beating the mastic mixture at high speed, add the warm milk, then the dissolved salepi. Add remaining sugar and cream.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and boil over low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and clumping. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Ice cream maker: When cooled, transfer to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Without ice cream maker: Transfer to a metal container, cover with a tightly fitting lid or foil and place in freezer. Every half hour, remove from freezer, transfer to a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer until frothy. Quickly place back in the metal container and put in the freezer. Repeat three more times.
- Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve alone, with a syrup topping or sour cherry preserves on the side, sprinkle with minced pistachios and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours