- 2 ¼ lbs. potatoes (floury cooking)
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 small piece destringed celery
- 1 small stick leek, light green and white part only, split and rinsed to remove dirt
- 6 ⅓ cups (1.5 liters) vegetable stock
- ½ cup / 100 grams Tyrolean speck (strongly preferred) or use artisanal bacon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram
- clarified butter
- Salt and pepper
- Minced chervil, celery leaves and parsley for garnish
- Peel potatoes and cut into pieces about ¾ inch / 2 centimeters in size. Peel carrots & cut into pieces. Cut leek into rings. Chop celery roughly. Peel onion and chop. Cut the speck or bacon into small cubes. Finely chop some celery leaves, chervil and parsley & put aside until serving.
- Heat a pot with 1 tablespoon of clarified butter and fry the diced speck or bacon crisply for about 2 minutes, turning occasionally. Lift the bacon out of the pot and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add vegetable stock and stir in marjoram, then bring to the boil. Once the soup boils, reduce the heat a little and simmer for 25 – 30 minutes with the lid closed.
- After 30 minutes, remove the soup from the heat, season with salt, pepper & nutmeg and add cream. Purée the soup with a blender or immersion blender and if necessary add a little stock if the soup is too thick.
- Put creamy potato soup in deep plates and serve garnished with finely chopped herbs and speck cubes.
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 653.91 kcal
- Sugar: 8.13 g
- Sodium: 1885.65 mg
- Fat: 43.39 g
- Saturated Fat: 23.91 g
- Trans Fat: 0.03 g
- Carbohydrates: 58.68 g
- Fiber: 8.55 g
- Protein: 11.05 g
- Cholesterol: 125.79 mg