- 2 liters of dry yet fruity red wine (2 1/2 – 3 bottles)
- 350 ml (1 1/2 cups) of very high-proof rum—minimum of 54% alcohol (otherwise it will not burn) – TFD strongly prefers Stroh rum from Austria
- 5 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp. cardamom seeds (TFD addition, highly optional but I like it)
- 1/2 nutmeg (TFD addition, highly optional but I like it)
- 1/2 vanilla bean (TFD addition, highly optional but I like it)
- microplaned zest from 1 orange, 1 lemon, 1/2 lime (TFD added the lime zest)
- Juice from one orange
- Juice from one lemon
- 3 juniper berries
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 German sugar cone (strongly preferred) or 250 g of sugar cubes
- Place the spices and zests into an infuser or in a meshed tea ball.
- Pour the wine in a large pot. Squeeze the orange and lemon juice into a bowl and then pour it through a fine strainer (to remove the pulp) and add the juice into the pot with wine. Heat all the liquids to exactly 79 degrees Celsius (174 degrees Fahrenheit) – watch this temperature carefully – as soon as it hits 79, drop in the infuser filled with the spices and remove from heat immediately.
- Fill a punch bowl with the wine mixture. Hang the infuser/tea ball in the punch bowl. Place the bowl carefully on a fondue stand or a pot stand and put a fondue burner or Sterno burner underneath to keep the wine warm throughout the evening.
- To finish off the Fire Tongs Punch, place your special sugar tong with a sugar cone, or a metal grater with piled sugar cubes, over the opening of the punch bowl. If you used cubes, arrange them close together in the middle of a metal grater or if you have one, a large absinthe spoon.
- In order for the sugar to burn, pour some rum over the sugar cone or the sugar cubes and make sure the sugar has absorbed sufficient rum. CAREFULLY light the sugar cubes with a long matchstick. With a ladle, slowly add the rest of the rum while the sugar is burning.
- As soon as you light the sugar it will melt and drop through the holes of the tong/grater into your wine. Once all the sugar has dissolved, take the infuser out of the bowl and your Punch is ready to be served. You can serve the Punch in punch glasses or glasses with handles.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Beverages, Recipes
- Calories: 669.42 kcal
- Sugar: 7.35 g
- Sodium: 31.0 mg
- Fat: 0.71 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.21 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.76 g
- Fiber: 2.18 g
- Protein: 1.42 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg