- 1 ½ cups diced French bread, white part only
- ½ cup fish broth
- 5 garlic cloves, or to your taste, peeled
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground red chili pepper (original recipe) or 1 tsp. (or to taste) harissa paste (TFD change and my preference)
- Pinch of top-quality saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 large egg yolk – TFD prefers duck egg yolk, but chicken is just fine as long as it’s fresh
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Soak the diced bread in the fish broth. Squeeze the broth out. Mash the garlic cloves in a mortar with the salt until mushy.
- Place the bread, mashed garlic, harissa, saffron, egg yolk and black pepper in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds then pour in olive oil through the feed tube in a slow, thin, steady stream while the machine is running.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Store whatever you don’t use in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Note: If the rouille is separating, add 2 to 3 Tbsp. of the fish broth and whisk it in until smooth and re-emulsified.
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 1272.86 kcal
- Sugar: 0.96 g
- Sodium: 1031.1 mg
- Fat: 105.87 g
- Saturated Fat: 22.26 g
- Trans Fat: 0.33 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.99 g
- Fiber: 0.84 g
- Protein: 66.21 g
- Cholesterol: 254.81 mg