- 1 pound large shrimp, heads and tails on
- 2 cups rice-water, water used for rinsing uncooked rice
- 2 cups coconut water (TFD addition, replace with rice rinsing water for authentic version)
- 1 small red onion, cut into cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 4cm piece horseradish, peeled and cut into thirds
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 radishes, sliced
- 2 banana peppers (or mildly-hot chili peppers such as red Fresno)
- 1 bundle bok choy, cut into 3 inch lengths
- 1 small labanos or daikon, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 small bunch sitaw or yard long beans, cut into two-inch strips or use string beans if unavailable
- ⅓ cup tamarind concentrate
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- Kosher or sea salt to taste or use TFD’s preference of a bit of white miso paste
- Add rice and coconut water to pot and cook shrimp over medium heat for 4 minutes in the shell with its head intact to retain as much flavor as possible .
- Sieve out shrimp once barely cooked, rinse under cold water. With a pair of kitchen shears, cut through the shell along the back starting from its head and ending right before its tail. Remove the black veins with a tip of a paring knife and rinse the shrimp again with cold water. Set aside.
- Add the onions, ginger, horseradish, radish and tomatoes to the pot with the shrimp stock/water, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until daikon is almost cooked but still crunchy, about five to seven minutes.
- Add long beans, bok choy and peppers. Stir in tamarind concentrate and fish sauce. Bring back to a boil and simmer until beans and greens are still bright green. Taste and adjust sourness. Add salt or miso to taste, stir, and shrimp and serve.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 538.64 kcal
- Sugar: 13.84 g
- Sodium: 1526.98 mg
- Fat: 2.53 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.79 g
- Trans Fat: 0.02 g
- Carbohydrates: 101.93 g
- Fiber: 6.23 g
- Protein: 26.11 g
- Cholesterol: 142.88 mg