- 1 small green cabbage, cored and finely shredded (1 lb. 12. oz. as prepared)
- 2 medium orange carrots, peeled and grated (4 oz. as prepared)
- 2 medium purple carrots, peeled and grated (4 oz. as prepared) – if unavailable, just use orange carrots
- 2 1/2 medium onions, peeled and very finely sliced onions (1 lb. 4 oz. as prepared)
- Several scallions, washed and minced – light green and white parts only (4 oz. as prepared)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- 1 tbsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 3 small hot red peppers, minced – serranos are perfect!
- Zest and juice of 2 medium limes
- 36 grams sea salt (about 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon fine sea salt)
- Clean and prepare a ½ gallon glass jar or fermentation crock for fermenting. Make sure it’s scrupulously clean!
- Add all the prepared vegetables and the lime juice to a large, non-reactive bowl.
- Sprinkle the salt over the vegetables.
- With clean hands, massage all ingredients together until the vegetables begin to give off moisture, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the Curtido to the clean half-gallon mason jar or crock, pressing down firmly with clean hands as you go to eliminate any air pockets in the jar.
- Weight down the ferment. There should be enough juice from the vegetables to rise up and fully cover the solids. If there isn’t, add 1 tsp of fine sea salt to a cup of water, then add enough of this brine so that the liquids fully cover the solids.
- Loosely seal the crock or jar, and leave the Curtido at room temperature out of direct sun, for 2 to 5 days.
- Check the ferment daily. Look for bubbles and other signs of fermentation, burp the lid to release any pent-up carbon dioxide in the jar, and taste the development of the Curtido with a perfectly clean spoon.
- If you notice any scum developing on the top of your brine, skim it off promptly.
- When you like the taste of the Curtido after no more than 5 days, transfer the ferment to smaller jars for cold storage in the refrigerator, where it will keep for at least 6 months.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 94.7 kcal
- Sugar: 9.73 g
- Sodium: 616.69 mg
- Fat: 0.62 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.05 g
- Fiber: 6.18 g
- Protein: 3.02 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg