- 4 American Wagyu club steaks, each 1 ½ inches-thick (strongly preferred) or use non-Wagyu clubs (adequate) or fillet mignon (acceptable)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 baker’s dozen freshly shucked oysters, with their liquor – TFD recommends Bluepoint
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened – if you really want to gild the lily, use café de Paris butter as TFD does!
- Very thin slices of fresh or jarred black winter truffle (optional but recommended)
- 4 slices of bacon
- ghee (clarified butter) for cooking the steaks
- A bit of demiglace for the sauce
- Carefully cut a small slit just under half way up each piece of meat. Then, broaden the slit out and remove some meat to form a large pocket. Brush the inside of the steaks with oyster sauce and season with the black pepper.
- Insert 3 oysters in the pocket, preserving the liquor from each oyster for the sauce. Add some very thinly-sliced truffles, if using, to each bacon slice. Wrap with a bacon strip with the rind to the top.
- Secure with a toothpick and trim the bottom to level. This way presents best and you know which is the top. Do this step upside down so the rind can be set level with the top and the bottom is easy to trim.
- Heat a generous amount of top-quality ghee in a skillet and fry the steaks 2 minutes top and 2 minutes bottom. Remove the steaks to a pre-heated baking dish bottom side down.
- Finish cooking in a 350°F/180°C oven for 20 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes. You actually want this meat to be medium-rare to medium to allow the oysters to permeate the steaks.
- Deglaze the skillet with the wine and add the demiglace and all the reserved oyster liquor and reduce until thick and syrupy. Whisk the café de Paris butter into the sauce, a tablespoon at a time. Place the cooked steaks on serving plates and top with sauce.
- Calories: 1402.97 kcal
- Sugar: 0.59 g
- Sodium: 1154.18 mg
- Fat: 104.95 g
- Saturated Fat: 47.39 g
- Trans Fat: 4.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.62 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 99.53 g
- Cholesterol: 363.78 mg