- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons melted bacon fat from 4 slices soft-cooked bacon (mince and reserve bacon)
- 2 medium shallots, finely minced (about ½ cup)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced or grated on a Microplane (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 pounds spinach, trimmed, washed, and drained
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley
- ¼ cup minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup store-bought or homemade crème fraîche
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces Parmigiano cheese, finely grated (about 1 cup)
- Cut off the thick stems of the spinach and discard. Clean the spinach by filling up your sink with water and soaking the spinach to loosen any sand or dirt. Drain the spinach and then repeat soaking and draining.
- Melt the butter and bacon fat in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach, parsley and chives in four batches, turning each batch with tongs or a rubber spatula and allowing it to wilt before adding the next.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until no dry flour remains. Slowly stir in the heavy cream and milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring, then reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is completely softened and the sauce has thickened, about 1 ½ hours.
- Stir in the nutmeg and crème fraîche, add in ½ the bacon and season to taste with salt (not too much!) and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the broiler to high. Transfer the creamed spinach to a 1-quart oval or round casserole dish and top it with the Parmigiano. Broil until the spinach is bubbly and the cheese has formed a well-browned crust, about 2 minutes. Serve and garnish with remaining minced bacon.
- Calories: 637.13 kcal
- Sugar: 6.82 g
- Sodium: 997.62 mg
- Fat: 54.01 g
- Saturated Fat: 31.78 g
- Trans Fat: 0.12 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.79 g
- Fiber: 6.31 g
- Protein: 23.79 g
- Cholesterol: 164.36 mg