- 10 ounces boneless chicken breast, partially-frozen and cut into 1 ½” long julienne pieces
- ½ head spinach, leaves only
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups and 3 tbsp. chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- pinch of ground white pepper
- 2 scallions, trimmed and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. XO sauce (TFD change – original called for hot bean paste)
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with ⅓ cup cold chicken stock
- ½ tsp. chili oil
- ½ tsp. Sichuan peppercorn oil (TFD change, original called for chili oil only)
- Mix chicken, egg white, cornstarch, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the oil, and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Bring 5 cups of stock to the boil, add 1 tablespoon of the oil, then the spinach, and cook for forty-five seconds until the spinach turns bright green, remove, drain, and put on a serving platter and cover with foil.
- Heat wok or pan, add the remaining oil, and add the chicken pieces, a few at a time, stir them for about forty-five seconds, remove and drain; and repeat until all are oil-blanched. This is the technique known as ‘velveting in oil’ and is a necessity for this dish!
- Discard all but two tablespoons of oil from the wok or pan. In a bowl, mix the three tablespoons of stock, the rice wine, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and white pepper.
- Heat wok with its oil, add scallions, garlic, and ginger, then add the chicken stock mixture, XO sauce, and the recently stirred cornstarch-stock mixture.
- Bring to the boil, return the chicken to the wok or pan, add the chili and Sichuan peppercorn oils, and stir-fry for 30 seconds until chicken is barely cooked (it will continue to cook until it is served).
- Remove foil from the spinach and put the chicken mixture on top of it and serve.
- Calories: 809.19 kcal
- Sugar: 11.68 g
- Sodium: 1205.99 mg
- Fat: 67.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.66 g
- Trans Fat: 0.51 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.38 g
- Fiber: 1.16 g
- Protein: 25.71 g
- Cholesterol: 54.81 mg