- 3 3/4 cups seeded, ground, unpeeled cucumber – TFD prefers seedless Japanese cukes
- 1/2 cup seeded, ground green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup seeded, ground fresh poblano pepper
- 1/2 cup seeded, ground red bell pepper
- 3 cups ground onion
- 3 cups finely diced de-stringed celery
- 1/4 cup salt (use canning salt)
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups Heinz white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. celery seed
- 1 tbsp mustard seed
- 1 tbsp. Turmeric (very optional, not in original recipe)
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch slurry made from equal parts cornstarch and warm water
- Blue food coloring No. 1
- Use the coarse blade of a grinder. Combine all veggies in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt, cover with cold water and let stand for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Drain thoroughly in a colander and press out all excess liquid.
- Combine the sugar, vinegar, turmeric, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Stir in drained veggies, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add a bit of cornstarch slurry (add small amounts as necessary until thickened to relish consistency). Add a FEW drops of blue food coloring until proper neon green color is achieved. The use of Turmeric in the TFD recipe really helps with this process!
- Pack into pint canning jars to within ½ inch of the top. Put on canning lid and band.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. This makes 5-6 pints.
- Make sure that you don’t boil the filled jars too hard or the celery seed might become stuck between the lid and jar rim which would prevent the jars from sealing.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 815.87 kcal
- Sugar: 185.29 g
- Sodium: 1556.36 mg
- Fat: 1.56 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.25 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 199.35 g
- Fiber: 5.79 g
- Protein: 4.32 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg