- 1 cup carnaroli rice
- 4 cups whole milk, preferably organic and from Jersey cows
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground mahlab (ground cherry pit used in Greek and Levantine cooking)
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground mastic gum crystals (used in Greek and Levantine cooking)
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, lightly whipped
- Garnish with dried cherries, candied almonds, confit of citron, honey, borage flowers and mint leaves
- Combine everything, except for the last measurement of cream, in a pot.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat until it comes to a simmer.
- Simmer 30–40 minutes, stirring constantly, until the rice is tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in second measurement of cream.
- Portion, and serve immediately if it is to be warm. Alternatively, the pudding can be chilled and served cold.
- Garnish with ingredient as noted.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 1369.17 kcal
- Sugar: 190.04 g
- Sodium: 292.98 mg
- Fat: 46.92 g
- Saturated Fat: 28.72 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 230.07 g
- Fiber: 1.81 g
- Protein: 13.16 g
- Cholesterol: 167.22 mg