- 6 ounces butter
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 6 1/2 cups half and half
- 10 level tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon Macallan 12 or Glenmorangie 18 Scotch (TFD addition – omit for classic recipe and replace with 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract – go with the 18 if you can afford it!)
- Whipped Cream for garnish (optional)
- Combine butter and brown sugar in saucepan over low heat. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring. Add 2 ½ cups half and half, stirring until smooth.
- Combine cornstarch and salt in bowl. Slowly stir in 1 cup half and half until cornstarch dissolves. Add to saucepan with remaining 3 cups half and half.
- Bring to boil over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Boil gently 2 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Slowly whisk in egg yolks, stirring until smooth. Add vanilla and if using, Scotch.
- Return saucepan to heat and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Strain and pour into 12 custard cups. Cover each cup with Saran Wrap, making sure it presses against the surface of the pudding (to prevent a skin from forming).
- Refrigerate several hours until cold, remove plastic wrap and serve with whipped cream, if desired, or plain.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 1436.34 kcal
- Sugar: 137.32 g
- Sodium: 502.9 mg
- Fat: 85.09 g
- Saturated Fat: 51.92 g
- Trans Fat: 1.39 g
- Carbohydrates: 157.51 g
- Fiber: 0.18 g
- Protein: 15.41 g
- Cholesterol: 456.1 mg