- A tiny bit over a pound of minced beef (500g), preferably dry-aged
- 2 1/4 ounces (60g) pine nuts – try and use those of Italian or Korean origin, not Chinese
- 3 tsp. Garum (a salty fish sauce – use Red Boat 40N fish sauce as a good substitute)
- 1 tsp. dry red wine
- Ground pepper
- small handful Cilantro leaves
- small handful Lovage (strongly preferred) or celery leaves, minced
- 2 Juniper berries, crushed (optional but recommended)
- a TINY pinch of asafœtida
- Caul fat (optional but recommended)
- Grind up the pine kernels, and then mix in with the minced meat and other ingredients.
- Shape the mixture into 4 patties, wrap this in Caul Fat (if using, and I hope you are!).
- Cook over a medium heat or BBQ for 5 minutes on each side. Serve plain or in a flat bread bun.