- For the Baghrir:
- ½ kg semolina (finely ground)
- ½ liter warm water
- ¼ liter of warm skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 18 –20 g dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- For the Hirshon Spiced Honey Butter
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon rosewater (I prefer Cortas Brand)
- 1 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon freshly-ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon freshly-ground grains of paradise (optional but recommended)
- Place the yeast in a small bowl & add a few tablespoons of the warm water. Whisk the two together well & set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Add the wet ingredients – including the yeast – to the dry, and whisk really well, making sure you break down any lumps. If you are concerned about lumps, try pouring the batter into a blender & whizzing it several times.
- Once thoroughly combined, set aside for 30 minutes at minimum (60 is better) to allow the yeast to get to work.
- Lightly oil a heavy-bottomed frying pan (cast iron works realy well). Heat the pan on a high heat. You won’t get the ‘million’ holes unless your pan is scorching hot! You can also try covering the baghrir with a large glass lid, which seems to help.
- Ladle a small amount of batter into the pan (I like them about 4″) & cook until the baghrir is dried out – any patches of wet batter have solidified – this means it is fully cooked – this will only take a few minutes, don’t be tempted to flip them!
- Remove from the pan & place on a plate, then cover with foil to keep warm.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter until you have run out. Blend the batter for 10 seconds or so after cooking 3 or 4 pancakes, to keep the batter fluffy.
- Melt the butter & mix in the honey, spices and rosewater.
- Dip each baghrir quickly into the spiced honey butter and serve. Alternatively, you could just spoon a little bit onto each baghrir.
- Calories: 842.67 kcal
- Sugar: 38.04 g
- Sodium: 192.96 mg
- Fat: 26.21 g
- Saturated Fat: 15.42 g
- Trans Fat: 0.93 g
- Carbohydrates: 131.9 g
- Fiber: 6.42 g
- Protein: 21.99 g
- Cholesterol: 108.81 mg