- 1 1/2 cups fine soft bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 lb. ground lean (90/10) dry-aged wagyu ground beef, or use 1 1/4 lb. regular 90/10 grass-fed ground beef and 1/4 lb. sweet Italian sausage meat, as you prefer – the original was 90/10 ground beef
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp. Jane’s Krazy Salt or use 1 tsp. Kosher salt, 1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper, a tiny pinch of cayenne and 1/4 tsp. thyme (TFD change, original recipe called for just kosher salt)
- 2 tablespoons Savora (strongly preferred) or use French’s Mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. prepared white horseradish
- 3 Tbsp. finely-diced poblano green pepper, or just use an orange, yellow or red bell pepper (TFD dislikes green bell peppers)
- 2 Tbsp. French’s Caramelized Onions
- 2 Tbsp. minced scallion (TFD addition, omit for classic recipe)
- 1/3 cup Sir Kensington’s spicy ketchup *** Crown O’Gold Topping (Mustard Meringue):
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 4 Tbsp. Savora (strongly preferred) or French’s Mustard + additional dry English mustard powder if needed to give it some serious kick (optional TFD addition)
- Mix bread crumbs with meat. Combine remaining meatloaf ingredients separately and blend carefully by hand into meat-bread mixture.
- Pack the mixture lightly into a 9-inch casserole and bake in a moderate oven (325 degrees F) 30 minutes.
- To Make The Topping:
- Beat egg whites until foamy; add cream of tartar and beat until very stiff, then fold in mustard gently.
- Swirl on hot meat; return to oven; bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until tipped with brown. Serve immediately.