This recipe is from The Bodega Bay Lodge in Bodega Bay, CA – it’s called Jeff’s Mom’s Cake. Visit the Lodge, it will make for a wonderful stay and the food is fabulous. Everything pales, however, compared to the burning beacon of perfection that is Jeff’s Mom’s Cake.
It is – quite simply – the best chocolate cake in the world.
There is none higher.
There is nothing more I can add.
You’re welcome. 😀
Battle on – The Generalissimo
3 oz semisweet chocolate
12 oz strong brewed coffee
3 C sugar
2½ C all-purpose flour (sifted)
1½ C Valrhona unsweetened cocoa powder
2t baking soda
¾t baking powder
3 ea. eggs
6 oz canola oil
12 oz buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting:
• 1¾ lb butter
• 1¾ oz vanilla
• 1 lb confectioners sugar
• 3 lb cream cheese
Raspberries for garnishing top of cake
Berries for plating
Bodega Bay Lodge
Recipe: Jeff’s Mom’s Chocolate Cake
1. Melt chocolate with coffee until smooth.
2. Mix sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder & salt.
3. Beat eggs until lemon colored (about 3 minutes). Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs combining well.
4. Add dry ingredients until mixed well.
5. Line 2- 10” cake pans with parchment and spray well.
6. Bake at 290º for approximately 30 minutes until done.
7. Frost both cakes and combine.
2- 10” Pans to make 1 whole cake.
Jeff Reilly Executive Chef
Recipe: Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Whip butter and vanilla until smooth and soft.
2. Cream in the sugar until it is completely blended in and smooth.
3. Whip in cream cheese until light and fluffy.
4½ lb (Enough for 1 whole Jeff’s Mom’s Cakes with some left over.)