- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 4 tsp Finely chopped shallots
- 1 Tbsp Active dry yeast
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup Warm water
- 5 cups Whole-wheat flour (up to 6)
- 2 cups lowfat plain yogurt
- Dissolve yeast in the water in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan or microwave oven, heat the yogurt until it feels warm on the inside of your wrist (about 105 degrees F) and stir it into the yeast mixture.
- Stir in 3 cups of the flour, one cup at a time. Stir 100 times in the same direction to properly develop the gluten. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt over the dough and stir to mix well. Stir in additional flour until dough will take no more and cannot be stirred.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead, incorporating any flour as necessary until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes (it will remain somewhat sticky).
- Transfer dough to a large oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap and let rest until doubled in volume (about 1 ½ hours). Set an unglazed baking stone or lightly oiled baking sheet on the bottom over rack and preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Gently punch down the dough and let rest for another 10 minutes. On a lightly floured work surface, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Lightly flour your palms and flatten each piece; set them aside, covered with a damp towel.
- Roll out each bread, beginning by spreading ½ teaspoon of the shallots and ¼ teaspoon of the cumin in a 5-inch circle on the work surface. Take a piece of dough and set it on top of the shallots and cumin. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it about 8 inches in diameter. (If it sticks, lightly flour the surface)
- Turn the rolled-out circle of dough over so the shallots and cumin are on top. With a fork, repeatedly prick the center of the circle, leaving an untouched rim about 3 inches wide.
- This allows the bread to bake with a slightly higher outside ring, like a pizza crust. Roll out the remaining pieces of dough similarly. Depending on the size of your baking surface, bake 2 or 3 breads at one time. Use your hands or a flour-dusted pizza peel to carefully transfer the prepared dough to the heated baking surface.
- Bake for only 2 ½ to 3 minutes — baked through but still quite soft. Remove from the oven and stack immediately and wrap in a clean towel. Makes 8 flatbreads.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 603.26 kcal
- Sugar: 9.52 g
- Sodium: 719.76 mg
- Fat: 6.11 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.92 g
- Carbohydrates: 118.84 g
- Fiber: 17.07 g
- Protein: 27.73 g
- Cholesterol: 7.35 mg