Nepalese ranks amongst one of my all-time favorite cuisines – it combines ingredients from several different Indian provinces as well as Tibet, China, Bhutan and Nepal itself to become something truly special.
Choila consists of grilled meat (traditionally water buffalo) and a range of spices, here made with lamb garnished with a LOT of garlic.
This version features mustard oil, a defining ingredient of Bengali cuisine in India that gives a uniquely spicy kick to this delicious hybrid recipe. Mustard oil is easily found in Indian grocery stores or online.
This is my favorite recipe for lamb Choila, from the blog ournepal.info
Battle on – The GeneralissimoPrint
- 2 lbs. 1-in. thick lamb chops (can also be substituted with chicken)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (Australian brand only or one specifically for human consumption)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 red chilies
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-in ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek
- 10 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- ½ cup green onions, cut in 1-in. length
- In a large bowl combine 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon mustard oil, 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper, and salt. Coat lamb chops with the above mixture, set aside for 30 min. Grill the meat until cooked through. Cut into ½-in. cubes.
- In a blender combine cumin seeds, chilies, 3 cloves of garlic, ginger, and turmeric with 1 tablespoon of oil to yield smooth paste. In a bowl mix the garlic-ginger paste with the meat, gradually pouring 2 tablspoons of mustard oil, toss it well to coat thoroughly. Cover and set aside for 10 min. to marinate.
- To garnish, in a non-stick pan heat the oil, splitter fenugreek till it turns dark. Add garlic slices and fry till light brown. Pour the oil mixture over the marinated meat. Add green onions. Toss the whole mixture well. Serve with stir-fried vegetables and rice.
- Calories: 1036.97 kcal
- Sugar: 0.91 g
- Sodium: 670.08 mg
- Fat: 96.08 g
- Saturated Fat: 36.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.05 g
- Fiber: 1.54 g
- Protein: 34.6 g
- Cholesterol: 172.37 mg
Citizens, please note that I can no longer afford to absorb the nearly $1000 per month it costs to keep the site running smoothly, including marketing expenses, etc.
You can make a difference!
Please consider making a one-time donation to help keep the site live and the posts coming – click here to PayPal Me a tip!
You can also show your support by listening to our podcasts, liking them, and sharing as you see fit – try them out here.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?