- 3 ounces of Lindt Excellence Smooth Dark Chocolate 70% Cocoa Bar
- 1 ounce Dark Chocolate with Earl Grey, 65% cocoa bar
- 1 teaspoon Droste Dutch processed cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon cognac vanilla – to make cognac vanilla, get a fresh vanilla bean, cut lengthwise and then crosswise exposing the tiny seeds. Put into an airtight container and pour on 2.5 oz. cognac or brandy per bean. Every 2 or 3 days, shake the bottle. After about 2 or 3 weeks, you’ll have a new taste sensation in vanilla flavoring!
- Pinch of salt
- Tiny pinch of nutmeg
- 1/3 cup full fat whole milk (preferably from a Jersey cow and organic)
- 1/3 cup half and half (preferably from a Jersey cow and organic)
- 1 teaspoon cold butter (preferably Irish)
- Toasted mini-marshmallows – optional, I typically don’t use them
- Whipped cream – optional
- Shave or grate the 70% chocolate until you get 6 tightly-packed tablespoons. Shave or grate the 60% chocolate until you get 2 tightly packed tablespoons.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine grated chocolate, cocoa powder, cognac vanilla, milk, half and half, nutmeg and salt. Slowly bring to a boil, over low heat, whisking continuously. When boiling starts, whisk for 10 seconds more. Immediately remove saucepan from heat and pout hot chocolate into a bowl.
- Whisk the cold butter into the mixture until completely melted and gives a glossy sheen to the hot chocolate. Let hot chocolate rest at least 10 minutes (or preferably overnight to maximize flavor and texture). Gently reheat until warm, not boiling – strain, serve with optional marshmallows and/or whipped cream and ENJOY.
- Category: Beverages, Recipes
- Calories: 139.04 kcal
- Sugar: 3.98 g
- Sodium: 59.95 mg
- Fat: 9.94 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.92 g
- Trans Fat: 0.04 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.68 g
- Fiber: 8.78 g
- Protein: 6.05 g
- Cholesterol: 12.25 mg