- 1 cup organic walnuts, preferably heirloom
- 4 cloves garlic¼ cup toasted bread crumbs
- 2 roasted red peppers, I prefer one hot and one sweet
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste1 lemon, juicedSalt
- 1 teaspoon of each: black pepper, paprika, cumin, spearmint, urfa biber pepper flakes
- 1 sprig soft fresh thyme, chopped
- ¼ cup Turkish olive oil, more if needed
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (Optional but highly recommended)
- Roasting – In an authentic Acuka, the walnuts are first crumbled and then dry-roasted in a frying pan placed over a low flame until they start to release their natural oils. The addition of properly roasted walnuts lends their dominant flavor to the dish. Briefly pulse dry-roasted walnuts to a coarse sand consistency and put in a separate bowl.
- In the same unwashed food processor, chop the garlic and toasted bread finely.Combine and process all remaining until somewhat smooth. While machine is running, pour in the olive oil. Make sure not to over-mix since the texture should not be too creamy. If it is too dry for you, add more tomato paste or olive oil, as you see fit.
- Stir in walnuts and serve over toasted bread or pita wedges.
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 1199.3 kcal
- Sugar: 32.61 g
- Sodium: 1956.18 mg
- Fat: 26.76 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.94 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 199.57 g
- Fiber: 16.62 g
- Protein: 41.95 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg