- 2 ¼ pounds trimmed, boneless lamb leg meat, diced into 3 cm (1″) pieces
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp capsicum paste (optional but TFD preferred, this is the Southern Turkish way – replace with tomato paste if not using)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves, Turkish of course!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, preferably Turkish
- 1 tbsp. Urfa Biber pepper flakes (totally optional, TFD addition)
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, finely chopped (TFD alteration, original called for green)
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup lamb stock (preferred), chicken stock or water
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- Eggplant pureé
- 4 large eggplants
- ½ a stick of butter
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1¼ cups whole organic milk
- ½ cup grated Turkish hard mature cheese (kasar) or kashkaval cheese (see Note)
- Place the lamb in a large bowl. Add the tomato and capsicum pastes, garlic and half the onion and bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 6–12 hours to marinate.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil, and sauté the remaining until golden and tender. Add the lamb, green capsicum and tomato, butter and stock or water. Increase heat to high, bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and sinner gently for 45 minutes, or until the lamb is tender, season to taste.
- To make the eggplant puree, place the eggplant on open fire such as a charcoal barbecue, or gas stove. If using a gas stove, line the stove with foil to protect from dripping juice.
- Place the eggplant on a heavy metal rack and cook on high heat, turning occasionally until the skin of the eggplant is burnt and the flesh very tender (approx. 30 mins). Set the eggplant aside to cool, then cut in half lengthways, scoop out all flesh and mash.
- In a separate saucepan over medium heat, melt 50 g butter, add flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk until smooth, then add mashed eggplant. Cook, stirring often for 6–7 minutes, or until thickened, adding kasar cheese in the final two minutes. To serve, divide the eggplant puree among plates, top with the lamb and scatter with parsley.
- Note: Capsicum paste and kasar cheese are available in Turkish food stores.