- ¾ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup parsley
- ¼ cup mint
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 2 small jalapeños, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 6 tablespoons or more extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Lightly toast the cumin, cardamom, coriander and black peppercorns in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring often until fragrant, 2-3 minutes; let cool then blend to a powder in a spice grinder.
- In a blender, pulse the cilantro, parsley, paprika, jalapeños, garlic, lemon zest, orange zest, lemon juice and orange juice until the greens are chopped. Add spices and blend again.
- With the machine on, add the oil and purée – use more oil if needed to obtain a paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- The harissa can be refrigerated for up to 5 days with a thin layer of olive oil over the top.