- 8 ounces chicken breast, partially frozen and sliced into thin bite-sized pieces
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Dark mushroom-flavored soy sauce, as needed for color, about 1 tsp.
- 3/4 tsp palm sugar
- 3/4 tsp freshly-ground white pepper (preferred) or freshly-ground black pepper or more to taste
- 1 tsp Nam Pla (fish sauce) – TFD strongly prefers Red Boat 40° brand
- 1 tsp. oyster sauce – Lee Kum Kee makes a good product
- 2 tbsp peanut oil or more as needed
- 1 tsp. Sichuan peppercorn oil (highly optional – this is not traditional at all, but TFD enjoys it in this recipe. If you want the original, omit)
- 3 tbsp homemade chicken stock (preferred) or water
- Cilantro leaves and stems, to garnish
- Mix chicken with oyster sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar, fish sauce, and white pepper. Set aside while you fry garlic.
- In a small pot or wok, add the garlic, then add just enough peanut oil to cover the garlic.
- Fry garlic over low heat (gentle bubbling) until the garlic turns golden brown and the bubbling has mostly stopped, about 5 minutes. Drain garlic from oil, reserving the oil.
- In a wok, add about 2 Tbsp of the garlic oil and heat over high heat. Pour a tablespoon or so of the remaining garlic oil into the marinated chicken and stir. Add chicken to hot wok.
- Cook until the meat is done (about 5 minutes); if the meat begins to stick add a little chicken stock or water about 2 tbsp at a time. Add Sichuan peppercorn oil (if using) and more water, if needed and stir to combine.
- Stir thoroughly, allow to heat through then serve on a bed of rice, garnished with the coriander.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 183.43 kcal
- Sugar: 0.83 g
- Sodium: 211.68 mg
- Fat: 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.78 g
- Trans Fat: 0.06 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.17 g
- Fiber: 0.25 g
- Protein: 12.58 g
- Cholesterol: 36.62 mg