- 2lb. Chicken parts from a boiling hen / old hen 老母鸡
- 2lb. Pork on the bone (ribs plus pork hocks is great)
- 1 lb. good quality Ham preferably Smithfield or 金华火腿
- 1 lb. Chicken Feet 鸡脚 well-washed and cleaned
- 1 3/4 ounces fresh Ginger
- 3 Scallions
- 2 Dried Black Mushroom (Shiitake)
- 5 tsp. White Peppercorns
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing Rice Wine
- 1 small handful Dried Scallop 干贝
- 6 1/2 tbsp. Rock Sugar 冰糖
- 2 tbsp. dried Longan 龙眼干
- 3 pieces dried Tangerine Peel 陈皮
- 10 liters of cold bottled Water or enough to cover ingredients.
- Salt to taste
- Chop the old hen, pork and Chinese ham into big pieces. Place all the meat ingredients into a big pot, add enough room temperature tap water to cover and parboil for about 10 minutes.
- Remove them and clean/dry thoroughly. Place all the meat ingredients and the dried scallops into a very large stock pot, add the distilled water, scallion, ginger, shiitake and white peppercorns. Bring to a boil and lower to medium heat.
- Cook for 6 hours and do not cover the pot totally! A good simmer is what you want here.
- After 6 hours, add the rice wine, dried longans, dried tangerine peel and rock sugar. Cook for another 2 hours.
- Strain the stock before use and discard all solids.