- 8 slices white bread
- 4 tbsp. (2 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar (8 ½ oz.) or try 1 ½ cups cheddar mixed with ½ cup gruyere
- 1 large heirloom tomato, thinly sliced
- ½ sweet Vidalia or Walla Walla onion, very thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. Major Grey’s-style chutney, or another sweet and sour chutney mixed with 1 tbsp. Branston Pickle, whirred together in the food processor until relatively smooth
- 8 leaves of fresh basil
- Prepare a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Meanwhile, brush one side of each bread slice with the melted butter.
- Lay the bread, buttered side down, on a work surface. Divide the cheese between 4 slices, then top with 1 slice each of tomato and onion; season well with salt and pepper to taste and cover with 2 leaves of basil.
- Spread the chutney mix over the remaining slices of bread, then place them chutney side down atop the sandwiches.
- Using a grill basket if desired, grill, turning once, until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side. Serve at once!
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 576.32 kcal
- Sugar: 14.3 g
- Sodium: 732.35 mg
- Fat: 35.82 g
- Saturated Fat: 20.54 g
- Trans Fat: 1.26 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.45 g
- Fiber: 3.33 g
- Protein: 22.86 g
- Cholesterol: 97.8 mg